Tuesday, September 25, 2012

vegetables are not scary!!

Ok, don't freak out! I know, I know, kale seems like a scary green vegetable...but its pretty awesome! You just have figure out how you like it, and its amazing for you! On top of having almost no fat, just one cup contains all of the following:


Nutrients in
Kale
1.00 cup cooked (130.00 grams)
Nutrient%Daily Value

vitamin K1327.6%

vitamin A354.1%

vitamin C88.8%

manganese27%

fiber10.4%

copper10%

tryptophan9.3%

calcium9.3%

vitamin B69%

potassium8.4%

iron6.5%

magnesium5.8%

vitamin E5.5%

omega-3 fats5.4%

vitamin B25.2%

protein4.9%

vitamin B14.6%

folate4.2%

phosphorus3.6%

vitamin B33.2%

Calories (36)2%


So now you know how good it is for you, but how do you get your family to eat it? And for that matter, how am I going to get you to eat it!? I have some awesome recipes for you! Last week I posted whole food "hamburger helper" and I have a couple other tricks up my sleeve.  If you don't like cooked kale, try it raw!  I know it sounds gross, hubby was a little reluctant at first too, but once you try it with this dressing, you will want to eat it all the time. I would say this is sort of like a vegan version of a ceased salad.

raw kale salad


ingredients

1/2 bunch raw kale, washed, de-stemmed, and dried
1 Tbs tahini
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs Tamari (you could use soy sauce)
2 Tbs nutritional yeast *(see note below)
1 tsp minced garlic
sesame seeds to taste

Directions:

Break kale in to bite size pieces and place in a large bowl. Puree all ingredients except kale and sesame seeds.  Pour dressing over kale and toss until kale is evenly coated.  Refrigerate for at least one our (you don't have to do this but it makes the kale less potent and tough).  Sprinkle with sesame seeds before serving. 

*this is not the yeast you use to make bread! Who knew there was more than one kind! I just discovered nutritional yeast and it is pretty cool! It makes things taste sort of cheesy without using cheese! It is a deactivated yeast that is grown on sugar cane juice and beet molasses in a carefully controlled environment. It is harvested, washed and dried before packaging.    Nutritional Yeast is a good source of B vitamins and some nutritional yeasts are fortified with B12. Containing 18 amino acids, it is also a complete protein. There are an amazing 8 grams of protein in one and a half tablespoons. Nutritional yeast is produced specifically for the nutritional benefits that it provides. It also provides a great taste. Cheesy and nutty, it brings a depth of flavor to raw food recipes. It is not raw as it has to be pasturized to kill the yeast. But it is a healthy, nutritious, supplement

We bough Bragg's nutritional yeast but I am sure there are others out there. Here is a picture because one of the most frustrating problems i have encountered in cooking is not being able to find new ingredients because I don't know what I am looking for! So here you go...



Still not convince that Kale is for you? Here are a couple other suggestions for kale recipes! 

Kale Chips - can't wait to try this one!

braised Kale - even Emril likes kale!!!

Oh and if all else fails, just remember this, my pickiest eater (#2) loves kale and he is only 5! That might be because I told him it would turn him in to hulk...but thats a story for another time! It won't kill you to try a new vegetable! I have to say I was really shocked to find the variety of veggies available right at my own grocery store when I actually looked!  Those of you who know me well will be SHOCKED to hear that I was the type that always bought the same produce when I went to the store.  But it turns out those huge cases full of green foods are more than just decoration! 



Yup! This stuff is edible! And its actually pretty good once you figure out how to prepare it! Remember, you have to try things 15 times before you decide you don't like it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment